Monday, April 20, 2009

Our trip to the zoo

Over my spring break, we took a family trip to the zoo. I struggle every time we go because I feel so sorry for the animals. I always end up worrying that they get too bored and that their quality of life isn't good. BUT, Elijah LOVES animals, and since we aren't currently planning a trip to an African Safari, the zoo had to do.

Even while I struggle internally, we had a blast. Elijah wanted to go from exhibit to exhibit as fast as he could. As soon as he'd see one, look at it for a moment, he'd go, "FInd another animal!" His arms were finally long enough to actually get a good feel of a shark.


For the first time, he got to feed the giraffes. Just like petting the sharks, I struggle with this...but HE LOVED IT. He still talks about getting "licked" by the "big, black tongue!"


He's always been super into animals. His newest obsession is with worms (thanks, Dad!). He first saw them this year when he was helping me pull weeds in my flower bed. We'd have our hands totally dirty, but I wouldn't let him touch the worms (bad mom, I know). Well, my dad let him hold worms and that was the end of slime-less hands! He often now says, "Where'd my worm go, Mommy? Go find him?" Pretty cute...we're now buying stock in hand soap.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

We'd love to join you on your African safari...let us know when you start planning :) We are so with you on the animals, but the kids sure do love to go! Just another thing we'll have to explain to them!

Becca said...

LOL about the worms! Will too LOVES worms thanks to my mom. When she was helping us till and plant our vegetable garden in VA she would carefully move all the worms while digging up the earth so as not to kill them on accident. She decided that Will would love to help her, so he helped find places for the worms in parts of the garden she had already dug up! It was cute. Just a word of advice though...you might want to give a lesson on the difference between a worm and a snake. Will nearly picked up a snake later that summer ("look at that BIG worm, mommy!"). Scared the you know what out of me...even though it was just a little garden snake. :)